Time to educate the interventionist!
Not allowed to subject you to interventional device sessions (conflict of interest-ACC) and want to appeal to the wider cardiology community to get blogging!
This session (room is packed….about 300 folk!) is focussing on the medical treatment of AF as opposed to the interventional treatment, describing the indication for the various anti-arrhythmics including new agents.
Messages (for treating AF and maintaining SR incl after DC version):
1. Amiodarone is not approved by FDA for use in treatment of AF!
2. Dronedarone should not be given where heart failure.
3. Flecainide should only be given with normal heart.
4. Dofetilde can be given in heart failure
5. First line for AF- flecainide, propafenone, sotalol, or dronedarone
Second line-amiodarone, dofetilide or ablate
6. AF where also HT(LVH)- amiodarone and ablate
7. First line for AF where also CAD- dofetilide, sotalol, dronedarone
Second line- amiodarone and ablate
8. AF and heart failure- amiodarone or dofetilide and ablate
Based on recent guidelines (2009)……will get the link! Could not read author from back of room!!
Comments my EP friends?
We apparently need to look out for vernakalant…on the horizon but iv. Why can we pick easy names to spell let alone remember!!